Boblo Island Blockhouse and Lighthouse ~ Island History
See living history in this fully restored 1839 blockhouse used during the Rebellion of 1837-1838. This is the only remaining blockhouse of three originally built on Boblo Island to accommodate troops from Fort Malden, from 1839 to 1851 and thereafter Enrolled Pensioners until 1859. Today, the Blockhouse is home to a number of artifacts found on the surrounding property along with period specific items to help visitors envision the activity that would have happened at this site in the 19th century. Appointment required. Call Bill 519-818-1948. Due to COVID-19 the Blockhouse is not open to the public.
Just a stones throw way, is one of the oldest (1863) lighthouses on the Great Lakes. It has been designated a heritage lighthouse by Parks Canada. It is a national historic site largely due to its part of a brief occupation during the Rebellion of 1837-1838.
Boblo Island is Currently closed to visitors
Ferry fee may apply.
To verify ferry hours call 519-736-1111
LOCATION: Boblo Ferry, 340 Dalhousie, Amherstburg, ON, N9V 1X3
CONTACT: 519-736-1111 to confirm days and hours of operation for the ferry